MetroHartford Alliance: President/CEO Job Opening
Hartford's business and civic leaders launched the MetroHartford Alliance in April of 2001 by combining the Region's 200-year-old Chamber of Commerce and a fledgling economic development organization under one organizational roof. Over the past 16 years, the Alliance has served as the Region's economic development leader and the City's Chamber of Commerce, with a focus on ensuring that the Region competes aggressively and successfully for jobs, capital, and talent so as to ensure that the Region remains a premier place for all people to live, play, work, start and grow a business, and raise a family. In pursuing that mission, the Alliance has built a highly regarded team of 25 professionals and a reputation for being an effective leader in Connecticut's entrepreneurial, health, insurance and financial services, and young professional initiatives. The Alliance is also recognized as a leading champion of the Region's considerable economic assets that remain the foundation of a bright future and as a valued advocate for policies and actions needed to address the State's and City's fiscal challenges.
Summary of Regional Economic Assets
With a population over 1.2 million, the Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is a major metro located between the hubs of Boston and New York City. The Region has a highly skilled workforce of about 568,000 employees working in the financial/insurance, manufacturing, health care, and other sectors.
The Region is rich in economic development assets including: highways I-95, I-91, and I-84, proximity to the northeast rail corridor with added service between Hartford and Springfield, MA, and the Bradley International Airport with direct service to Europe and the West Coast. In addition, the Region is home to notable universities, research centers, and numerous international firms with major operations in the Region including: Aetna, Bank of America, Cigna, MassMutual, Prudential, PwC, Stanley Black & Decker, Travelers, The Hartford, and United Technologies Corporation. At its core, the City of Hartford is experiencing a rebirth with recent investment in downtown housing and a minor league ballpark, along with existing facilities that include a Convention Center, sports arena, hotels, new restaurants, and other arts and entertainment venues.
Vision for the Future
The Board of the Alliance and a number of the Alliance's major investors have conducted a comprehensive review during 2017 of the Alliance's organizational structure, its current areas of focus, and its allocation of resources against those priorities. The goals of the review are to build on the organization's significant accomplishments of the past 16 years, enhance its value to its current and prospective investors and to economic development professionals in all sectors, and strengthen the Alliance's role as one of the country's premier regional economic development organizations.
The MetroHartford Alliance is seeking a seasoned economic development and chamber of commerce professional to fill the President/CEO role, serving as the executive leader of the organization. The Alliance is currently undergoing an extensive Organizational Strategic Plan to identify specific objectives to be implemented by the incoming President. As the Alliance looks to focus greater resources on economic development, the organization needs new leadership to bring their new vision to fruition. The President/CEO will oversee the Chamber of Commerce and EDO and will report to the MetroHartford Alliance Board of Directors, which is currently comprised of regional corporate leaders.
The President's major responsibilities will include working with the leaders of the Region's private sector employers to ensure that the Alliance is strongly positioned to work effectively on economic development opportunities and issues with the new Governor, who will take office in January of 2019. That strong position will be dependent in part on the President's engagement with those leaders to secure a financial base that will enhance the Alliance's capacity to drive an expanding number of economic development initiatives.
Major Duties Include
The President/CEO will lead the following objectives and responsibilities:
- Leadership & Planning
- Lead the regional economic development and chamber of commerce organizations
- Generate original approaches and ideas to lead the MetroHartford Alliance towards becoming a top performing regional economic development organization within the next five years
- Participation and leadership in the soon-to-be initiated regional economic development strategy. This includes the identification of initiatives that the Alliance will be responsible for executing
- Execution & Management
- Execution of organizational plans, economic development strategies and initiatives that adopt best and emerging practices
- Supervise staff responsibilities, performance, and goals
- Identify, maintain, and report on the performance of the Alliance initiatives to the Board, investors, and stakeholders
- Communications & Public Relations
- Represent the MetroHartford Alliance on all fronts including with existing and prospective business partners, regional, state, and federal officials, media, and membership
- Member and investor relations and communications
- Financial & Administrative
- Fundraising and membership/investor recruitment
- Preparation and oversight of operating budgets for the Chamber and EDO, including confirming compliance with all related regulations
- Undergraduate level degree in business, economics, public administration, or relevant subject from an accredited college or university is required (Master's is preferred)
- Current status as a Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) is preferred
- Candidate must demonstrate knowledge of and experience implementing best and emerging practices in the field of economic development
- Prior experience leading a regional EDO or combined Chamber/EDO as a senior-level executive or "2nd in command executive" with a proven record of success
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in economic development
- Possess strong understanding and knowledge of state and federal economic development agencies and their programs
- Demonstrate program performance, fiscal accountability, and budget management skills
- Excellent communication, organizational, and supervisory skills including motivating others towards success
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with a Board of Directors, investors, state and regional representatives, elected officials, and private partners, and other critical stakeholders
- Proficiency attracting and retaining business activity for a region, facilitating economic and industrial growth
- Understanding effective methods of discussing complex issues among groups of stakeholders and arriving on consensus
Qualities & Traits
- Capable of interacting with CEO-level board members and have an executive presence
- Ability to effectively manage public relations efforts and inform various media channels
- Possess integrity, tenacity, and maintain poise under pressure
The position offers a competitive benefits package, annual salary dependent on selected candidate’s specific qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to:
Rob Camoin c/o Anna Winslow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send with subject line: Resume – MetroHartford Alliance President/CEO
Applications will be accepted until filled. If selected for further consideration, we will request additional documentation at a later date. Please no telephone inquiries.